Crucifixes in Sicily

 

Crucifix in Oratorio del SS. Rosario di San Domenico, Palermo

Crucifix in Oratorio del SS. Rosario di San Domenico, Palermo. Relics behind the glass. The Oratorio is more known for the marvellous stucco decorations by Giacomo Serpotta.

These crucifixes are called Crocifissi reliquiari.

 

 

 

Sicily

Crucifix in Basilica dell'Immacolata (Chiesa di San Francesco), Agrigento.

 

 

Crucifix in the church of the Purgatorio (San Lorenzo), Agrigento

Crucifix in the church of the Purgatorio (San Lorenzo), Agrigento. Relics behind the glass.

 

 

logo      

 

Crucifix in Chiesa di Sant'Orsola, Palermo

Crucifix in Chiesa di Sant'Orsola, Palermo, built for the Compagnia di Sant'Orsola (Brotherhood of Saint Ursula, founded in 1564). The church was open to the public in 1662. In 1672 a beautification work started; the church was decorated with stuccos and paintings.

 

 

Next to the custodian's house at Halaesa Arconideo lies a late medieval church, Santa Maria delle Palate, with some original painted statues in wood and a Madonna and Christ holding a globe in their hands made by the Gagini school. During the Norman period the church housed a Benedictine monastery and cloister that belonged to the resident abbot of the Church of Saint Bartholomew in Lipari. The church was first mentioned in legal documents in 1123, and was restored by Pasqualino Scaluni in 1551.

 

 

Christ on the cross in Santa Maria delle Palate at Halaesa Arconidea, Sicily

Detail of the crucified Christ in the medieval church Santa Maria delle Palate at Halaesa Arconidea.

Source: Information brochure available at the reception, and the guide.

 

 

crucifix (17th C) from the Capuchin monastery in Savoca, Now in the Gibilmanna Museum

Small crucifix (17th C) from the Capuchin monastery in Savoca, Now in the Gibilmanna Museum.

 

A spectacular crucifix from 1555 is hanging from the roof in the church Chiesa Madre (Basilica San Pietro), Collesano.

 

 

Small Ivory Crucifix, 17th Century, Castelbuono Museum.

 

 

crucifix

Crucifix (1484) by Pietro Ruzzolone in the Termini Imerese duomo.