Chiesa di San Domenico, Palermo

Column of the Immaculate Virgin by Giovanni d’Amico (1724–1727) in front of the church of San Domenico, Palermo

The column of the Immaculate Virgin by Giovanni d’Amico (1724–1727) in front of the church of San Domenico.

 

The large church of San Domenico in Piazza San Domenico

The large church of San Domenico in Piazza San Domenico was rebuilt in 1640 but the imposing facade was made in 1726.

 

Detail of a funerary monument (1773) with skull.

Detail of a funerary monument (1773) with skull.

 

Detail of a funerary monument (1773) with skull.

Detail of a funerary monument (1773) with skull.

 

 

The interior.

 

San Domenico

There are many beautiful details to see inside the church.

 

 

 

Baroque altarpiece of St Dominic in the south transept by Filippo Paladini (‘Il Paladino’, 1544–1615). The Mannerist painter Paladini arrived in Sicily from Malta in 1601, at the invitation of Counter-Reformation religious orders, after serving a sentence as a galley-slave. He was tutor to the two Zoppi di Gangi, and his later works show the influence of Caravaggio, according to Blue Guide Sicily.

 

 

 

 

A bust of the painter Pietro Novelli (1603-1647). Novelli was from Monreale. Outside the cathedral in Monreale, there's also a bust of him. Pietro Novelli was a member (confratello) of the Compagnia di S. Maria del Rosario delli Sacchi, founded by P. Marinao Lo Vecchio in 1568. Ten years later construction was begun on the present Oratorio del Rosario di San Domenico. Novelli painted the fresco on the vault of the San Domenico Oratory, The Coronation of the Virgin, as well as two other paintings in the series of paintings of the Mysteries of the Rosary, consisting of works by Borremans, Luca Giordano, Mattia Stomer, Giacomo Lo Verde etc.

Click here to see photos from Oratorio del Rosario di San Domenico

 

logo